Sierra Fire Lookout Photos
|Delilah Lookout, elevation 5,176, is approximately
45 miles east of Fresno California in the Southern Sierras. Delilah was
established in 1916 as a site for fire detection. It has seen several
incarnations including a 50 foot metal tower with live-in cab constructed
by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. In 1960 this structure was
replaced with a 70 foot tall metal tower from Lemoore NAS. The lookout was
staffed yearly, funded by both California State and the Forest Service
until 1992. Since then it has been staffed during extreme fire danger and
as the Forest Service budget allowed.
|Park Ridge Lookout is located just east of Grant
Grove, in Kings Canyon National Park. An easy 2 mile hike from Panoramic
Point brings you to the base of the lookout which was established in 1916.
Park Ridge was originally an open air lookout with a lean-to shelter and a tent platform. The lookout was jointly managed by the National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service until 1940 when the Park Service assumed sole responsibility. In 1964, the original wooden lookout, with lower living quarters, was replaced by the current 20 foot high, 14’ X 14’ steel tower and was moved ¼ mile SW of the original site.
The lookout was staffed continuously during fire seasons by Mattie Simms from 6-10-56 until her retirement on 10-29-74. After Mattie, Parks Ridge was staffed sporadically due to budget cuts and was closed after fire season 1996.
|Buck Rock Fire Lookout Located in the Sequoia
National Forest, sits perched atop a granite dome and offers a
breathtaking view of the Great Western Divide and other spectacular high
mountain peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Access to the top is via a
series of stair flights (consisting of 172 steps) suspended from the side
of the rock. The current lookout building was constructed in 1923 and is
historically significant as a representation of the earliest 4-A style
live-in cabs of which there are only three in existence in the world
Prior to the current building, an open platform was situated on the top of the rock, which a patrol unit would climb onto to scan for smokes using only binoculars, a compass, and a map. Spotting a smoke, he would quickly descend, hop on his horse and chase down the fire. In 1914, a telephone was installed and a phone line between Pinehurst and Buck Rock was carried by mules and restrung at the beginning of each season. If you look closely, you can see the old ceramic phone line connectors in the trees below the lookout.
Originally, only long slim tree trunks with boards nailed across for steps led to the top. A series of ladders for climbing to the lookout came next, and finally in 1942, a stairway with 172 steps built by Frank Fowler and crew was added to ease the climb. By the 1980‘s, electricity replaced gas and wood as a source of energy, and today the lookout enjoys many of the modern conveniences of most homes.
The first fire watcher was Buck McGee, who staffed the lookout for several years until Walker Parker took over in 1927. Walker got hooked on lookout life and worked on several other local lookouts throughout the 1930’s, including Stag Dome, Cahoon Rock, Park Ridge, Bear Mountain, and Delilah. Leatrice Evinger Dotters was the first lady lookout, and worked at Buck Rock from D-Day (June 6th) through October 31st 1944 without ever leaving for home. Helen Carter Allen was the lookout during the 1960’s – there was still a crank phone, a huge refrigerator and a double bed, which left very little space for anything else. But Helen managed to find just enough room for her companion – a beautiful, bur large husky dog.
During the 1970’s Hume Lake patrols and Engine 32 worked on improving the lookout building by adding new shutters, siding, interior cabinets and map counters, and a very convenient “dutch door”. Luther Gordon was the fire watcher during much of the 1980’s. The marmots were quite active that year, and after finding his vehicle’s electrical system munched on by the cute but destructive creatures, Luther found a system to keep the marmots at bay. A system that is legendary, but one we won’t go into that here…
By the early 1990’s the steps to the lookout were about worn out (and a bit dangerous to climb) so Lakeshore Engine32 Captain Mark Sorenson and his crew set about replacing the 172 steps and the catwalk with all new wood and materials. Their craftsmanship is still very much appreciated by those who currently staff and visit Buck Rock. The crew from Lakeshore Engine 32, continue the tradition of helping with maintenance at the lookout. The lookout was closed for a period of about 10 years during the late 1980’s and throughout much of the 1990’s. In 1999, with the help of the Buck Rock Foundation, Buck Rock was re-established as a primary location for fire detection and has been staffed seven days a week ever since. Well, except for those few days in 2002 when it was “condemned” due to a deteriorating brace that was supporting a landing about 300 feet above ground. Thanks to FS Engineer Sheldon Perkins, contractor John Porter and the Hume Lake District’s pocket book, the landing was repaired – just in time for our annual July 4th Open House Celebration!
Milk Ranch fire lookout at 9,000 foot Cahoon Rock on the south fork of the Kings River the highest lookout station in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Mule Peak Fire Lookout, in the Tule River Ranger District. was established in 1936 as a primary fire detection facility, Mule Peak Lookout was constructed on a rocky peak at elevation 8,142 feet. The C-3 live-in cab was built by the CCC’s who packed all the materials in by horseback. To this day, all materials and supplies must be packed in the 1.25 miles from the parking area or delivered by helicopter. There is a small gable roofed shed built near the base of the lookout. The lookout is in good condition considering the early construction date, and very little remodeling has been done. A 1988 evaluation, gave Mule Peak a rating of 19 of a possible 30, and just makes the list of lookouts eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.